Hello! It has been a while since I’ve shared a recipe here on my blog, and I apologize for this! But I am back with perhaps my favourite cake recipe to date.
Here’s the recipe:
For the Topping
- ¼ cup vegan butter, melted
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 8-10 pineapple rings
- 8-10 maraschino cherries
For the Cake
- 1 ½ cups pastry flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 6 tbsp vegan butter (I use Becel unsalted plant-based bricks)
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 4 tbsp aquafaba
- 1/3 cup dairy-free yogurt (I use Silk rich almond vanilla)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup non-dairy milk (I use Not Milk whole milk)
- Preheat oven to 350oF.
- Prepare the topping: pour the melted butter into an 8×8” glass baking dish and sprinkle the brown sugar on top. Using some paper towel or a tea towel, blot any excess liquid from the pineapple and cherries, then arrange them on the bottom of the baking dish with the maraschino cherries in the center of the pineapple rings.
- Prepare the cake batter: sift together the pastry flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the vegan butter with an electric mixer until light and smooth, then add the sugar and beat again. Beat in the aquafaba until combined, then add the yogurt and vanilla extract.
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix until just combined. Then pour in the milk and mix again.
- Pour the cake batter into the baking dish and spread into an even layer.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Remove from the oven and allow the cake to cool for 20 minutes, then loosen the edges of the cake from the pan and invert the cake onto a serving plate.
- This cake is best served the same day!