I have a friend who is absolutely obsessed with all things orange, so it was only fitting to make her this 6-layered orange creamsicle cake as a going away gift as she starts her next adventure in life! This recipe is adapted from Karissa’s Vegan Kitchen blog, but instead of the vanilla coconut whip used in her recipe, I used my tried and true vanilla buttercream, which is more suitable for layered cakes!
What started as me trialing as many cakes as I could before my birthday (which was in March), has now turned into a new love of mine! I can’t wait to keep making more cakes and sharing them with you!
Here’s the recipe:
For the Cake
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 cups pure orange juice
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 2 ½ tsp orange extract
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the Frosting
- ½ cup Becel unsalted plant-based butter, straight from the fridge
- 3 cups icing sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 – 3 tbsp unsweetened almond milk
- FOR THE CAKE: Preheat oven to 350oF and grease & line three 5-inch round cake pans with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, and baking powder & soda, set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the orange juice, sugar, vegetable oil, and orange & vanilla extract.
- Add the dry ingredients gradually into the wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Divide the batter evenly among the 3 cake pans and bake for 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before frosting.
- FOR THE FROSTING: In a large bowl using a hand-mixer, cream the butter until light and fluffy. Then add ½ cup of icing sugar and vanilla extract and mix until well combined.
- Alternate between adding ½ cup of icing sugar and ½ tbsp of almond milk and mix until you’ve used up all of the icing sugar. Then, add more almond milk if needed.
- TO ASSEMBLE: level the cakes and cut each cake in half to create 6 layers, then decorate as desired.