Summer is here and while I do love those sunny summer days, I don’t love cooking in front of the stove or in the oven because it makes my house SO hot! So recently I’ve been testing out recipes that require minimal cooking, and this is how the crunchy Thai noodle salad came to be.
This salad is great for multiple reasons. It’s made with brown rice ramen noodles, which are a great source of whole grains. It’s also packed with so many colourful veggies, which each contain different nutrients. The lime peanut dressing is a source of fat which will make this salad more satisfying, and the mango is a source of sweetness to balance out the flavours.
I hope you try out this recipe for lunch this week or as a salad for your next summer BBQ!
Here’s the recipe:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 block of tofu, cut into bite-sized cubes
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp Thai yellow curry paste
- 4 brown rice ramen cakes (I like the Lotus Foods brand)
- ½ small red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 2 medium-large carrots, peeled and shredded
- 2 red bell peppers, diced
- 1 ataulfo mango, diced
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- ¼ cup green onion, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup roasted and chopped peanuts
For the Dressing
- ¼ cup natural peanut butter
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 2-4 tbsp maple syrup
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 1-2 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
- *Optional* 1 tsp Thai yellow curry paste
- In a frying pan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the tofu and cook for 1-2 minutes. The tofu should be spread out in 1 even layer on the frying pan, if there is too much, cook in 2 batches.
- While the tofu is cooking, mix together the vegetable broth and Thai curry paste.
- Reduce the heat to medium and pour ½ of the vegetable broth and curry paste mixture on top of the tofu and cook until the vegetable broth has been absorbed and the edges of the tofu are golden brown.
- Flip the tofu and repeat step 3.
- Cook your brown rice ramen noodles according to the instructions on the package. Drain and then rinse with cold water.
- While the noodles are cooking, mix together your dressing in a small bowl and set aside.
- To assemble: in a large bowl, combine the noodles, red cabbage, carrots, bell peppers, mango, cilantro, and green onion. Drizzle on top the dressing and mix well to combine. Garnish with chopped peanuts.
This salad is great for meal prepping because the veggies hold up well in the fridge and leaving the salad to sit in the fridge for a few days allows the flavours of the dressing to absorb into the salad.