I often find myself at the end of the week with 2-3 ripe avocados that I don’t know how to use up. Sure there are the classics: guacamole or avocado toast, but sometimes you want something different.
This weekend I was in this exact predicament. I got to thinking about what I could do with my avocados when I remembered that in high school I had made avocado mousse with my friends and it was SO good. The avocado makes the mousse super creamy, and the cocoa powder masks any avocado taste and makes this dessert super rich and decadent.
This recipe is one of the most simple ones I’ve posted to date. It only requires 6 ingredients and can be made in under 30 minutes!
Here’s the recipe:
- 10 Oreos, crème filling removed
- 3 tbsp vegan Becel margarine, melted (or coconut oil)
- 2 medium avocados
- 5 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- *Optional* raspberries, to garnish
- Preheat oven to 350oF.
- In a food processor, pulse the Oreo cookies into fine crumbs. Stream in the melted margarine and pulse until evenly combined.
- Press 2 tbsp of filling into mini tart shells or the cups of a muffin tin.
- Bake at 350oF for 10 minutes.
- While the crust is baking, prepare the chocolate mousse filling. Clean out the food processor and add the avocados, maple syrup, cocoa powder, and vanilla. Pulse until smooth. Adjust sweetness and cocoa as desired.
- Allow the crusts to cool completely, then fill with the mousse filling, garnish with a raspberry and sprinkle with some icing sugar.