I love cake. And what makes cake so good you ask? It’s the perfect balance of moist, crumbly cake and smooth, fluffy frosting! This week I’m bringing you my whipped chocolate buttercream frosting. It’s smooth, rich, and buttery, but also light, airy and fluffy.
This frosting if the perfect consistency to be piped on top of cupcakes and to spread in between layers of birthday cake. I love a chocolate cake and chocolate frosting combo, but this frosting also pairs well with vanilla and funfetti!
Here’s the recipe:
Serves:enough frosting for 14-16 cupcakes
- ¾ cup Becel unsalted plant-based butter, straight from the fridge*
- 3 – 4 cups icing sugar
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 – 2 tbsp unsweetened non-dairy milk (I used almond)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Using a hand mixer, beat the vegan butter until smooth and creamy, approx. 3-5 minutes.
- Add the cocoa powder, vanilla and icing sugar ½ a cup at a time, and beat until the icing sugar is fully incorporated.
- If the frosting becomes too dry, add some almond milk, ½ tbsp at a time, and if the frosting is still too runny, add more icing sugar.
- Beat until the frosting is light and fluffy, and there are no lumps.
- Transfer to a piping bag and use to frost your cupcakes or cake!
*Make sure you use the solid butter and not margarine! The margarine will be too soft and the frosting will be runny. You do not need to soften the butter because it is not as solid as regular butter.