As much as I love creating new recipes, I also have my tried and true recipes that never disappoint and I love to make. That is the case with my dairy-free cheese sauce recipe. I published this recipe back in May, and while a lot has changed in my life both online and offline, my love for this cheese sauce has not. Well, maybe it’s grown.
I love this cheese sauce for so many reasons. First, it’s cashew and nut free. No soaking required! Plus cashews can be expensive sometimes, and we’re all on a budget, right? Second, it uses vegetables! This cheese sauce is the perfect way to make veggies more appetizing for your kids, family, and friends. And third, it is so versatile! I’ve used this cheese sauce to make vegan lasagna, nachos, and yes, you guessed it, mac and cheese. Oh, and it stores well in the fridge and freezer.
This week I’m taking my legendary cheese sauce and kicking it up a notch!
Here’s the recipe:
- 1 batch of my Dairy-Free Cheese Sauce
- 4 cups brown rice shell pasta
- 4 tbsp Panko bread crumbs (I used whole wheat)
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- ¼ tsp salt
- cracked black pepper
- vegan cheese shreds (I used Daiya cheddar and mozzarella style shreds)
- Prepare dairy-free cheese sauce and set aside.
- Boil the pasta according to the instructions on the package, drain and rinse with cold water then transfer back into the pot.
- While the pasta is boiling, mix together the bread crumbs, nutritional yeast, parsley, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Add the cheese sauce into the pot of rinsed pasta and mix thoroughly.
- Transfer the mac and cheese into a glass or ceramic baking dish and sprinkle with vegan cheese shreds and the breadcrumb mixture.
- Broil in the oven until the cheese shreds have melted and the bread crumbs are golden brown.
I like to serve this with a side of roasted vegetables to add even more fibre! This recipe is also great with tofu nuggets.