Fall is in full swing and that means the temperature is dropping every day! It’s around this time of year that I start craving soup again. In the summertime I gravitate towards salads and sandwiches, and pretty much anything that doesn’t require the stove to be on for more than 10 minutes. But now that it’s a bit cooler outside and the sunny days are accompanied by gloomy ones, I love spending more time in the kitchen cooking up recipes like this one.
This lentil & vegetable soup is perfect for meal prep or for a family dinner on a weekday. It takes about half an hour to cook and is the perfect way to use up vegetables you have laying around in the fridge.
Here’s the recipe:
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 can salt-free diced tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1 small potato, cubed
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 1 stalk of celery, diced
- 1 cup cauliflower, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup green beans, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 can lentils, drained and rinsed
- 3 cups kale, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, add the olive oil and sauté the onions and garlic until browned.
- Add the diced tomatoes, vegetable broth, tomato pasta, carrots and potato and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook until the carrots and potato are fork tender.
- Add the zucchini, celery, cauliflower, and green beans and continue to cook until they are also tender.
- Finally, add the lentils and kale and stir to combine well. Simmer until the kale has wilted, then remove from heat and season with salt and pepper to taste.