This week marks my first week at my dietetic internship! For the next 4 months I will be working with Mother Raw on all things food, nutrition, and product related. After just the first meeting I am feeling so inspired and ready to hit the ground running.
Something that makes a dietetic internship different than any other educational or employment opportunity I’ve experienced is that it heavily emphasizes self-directed learning. What does this mean? It means I am just as responsible for contributing and finding new ways to learn as my supervisors. As someone who strives at taking instruction and following rules, this can be daunting, but I am eager to start this new journey.
What better way to kick off my internship than with a recipe using Mother Raw products? This Greek pasta salad is refreshing, flavourful, colourful, protein-packed, and easy to make.
Here’s the recipe:
- 4-5 cups brown rice fusilli
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 large zucchinis, cubed
- 4 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 can unsalted chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 5 cups kale, chopped
- 1 lemon, juiced
- ½ cup sun-dried tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- Handful of curly parsley, chopped
- Mother Raw Greek style dressing
- Cook your pasta according to the instructions on the packaging, then drain and rinse with cold water and set aside.
- In a large frying pan, add 1 tbsp of olive oil and the zucchini. Cook on medium heat until they begin to soften, then add the garlic and chickpeas. Stir to combine.
- If the zucchini and chickpeas are looking dry, add the additional tbsp of olive oil and continue to cook until the zucchini starts to brown, and the chickpeas are soft. Then add the kale and lemon juice and cook until the kale has wilted.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool for 20-30 minutes.
- Once the zucchini and chickpeas have cooled, add the sun-dried tomatoes, tomatoes and parsley and mix thoroughly. Then add enough Greek dressing to coat the pasta.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
This pasta salad tastes great hot or cold! Since we’re using brown rice pasta, I recommend lightly reheating the pasta salad in the microwave if you’re not eating it right away and storing it in the fridge.