One of the most common sources of unnecessary added fats to our meals is sauces, dressings, and spreads. These foods add flavour and mouthfeel, but can also be detrimental to our health if consumed too frequently. Luckily there are some great healthy fat alternatives to these foods. For example, instead of using mayo in a BLT, try mashed avocado for the same creaminess.
Another source of unhealthy fats are fatty meats, such as bacon. This recipe utilizes tempeh as an alternative to bacon that still provides a smokiness to your BLT without the excessive fat.
Here’s the recipe:
- ½ package of tempeh
- 1 tbsp tamari
- ½ tbsp liquid smoke
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- ½ tbsp neutral oil (e.g. vegetable, avocado, canola)
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- everything bagels
- garlic powder
- romaine lettuce
- Slice the tempeh into ¼” thick slices and set aside.
- In a loaf tin or flat square dish, add the remaining ingredients and stir to combine.
- Dip both sides of the tempeh into the marinade, then arrange them in a flat layer in the dish.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour, removing after 30 minutes to flip the tempeh slices onto the other side to ensure even marinading.
- Using an air fryer, arrange the tempeh in 1 layer on the tray and use a pastry brush to apply more marinade before cooking.
- Cook at 350oF for 10 minutes, flipping at 5 minutes to ensure even browning.
Alternatively, the tempeh bacon can be baked in the oven at 350oF for 15 minutes, flipping at 7 minutes.
- Toast bagel to desired level.
- While bagel is in the toaster, mash the avocado and mix with some garlic powder to add flavour.
- Remove bagel from toaster and layer avocado, lettuce, tomato, and tempeh bacon.
- Cut BLT in half and serve.