One of my favourite meals to make when I have friends over is pizza – it’s easily customizable, quick to make, and everyone gets their own personal pie! This cauliflower pizza crust allows you to have the same convenience of pizza, while limiting the amount of refined grains such as white flour, used in pizza crust. Not only that, but it utilizes flax seeds as the binder, which is a great source of omega-3 fatty acids!
Here’s the recipe:
- 1 head of cauliflower, chopped
- 5 tbsp ground flaxseed
- ½ cup of water
- 2/3 cup of oat flour*
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 450oF.
- In a bowl, combine the ground flaxseeds and water. Transfer to the fridge and allow the mixture to thicken.
- Meanwhile, steam the cauliflower until it is tender, then remove from heat.
- Then, add all of the ingredients including the flaxseed mixture into a large bowl.
- Using a potato masher (or a fork), mash all of the ingredients until a dough forms and no large pieces of cauliflower remain.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and evenly divide the dough onto the 2 baking sheets.
- Form the dough into balls, place another piece of parchment paper on top of the ball and use another baking sheet or large plate to flatten the dough into a thin crust.
- Bake for 25 minutes, then remove from the oven and top with your favourite pizza sauce, veggies, and cheese and bake for an additional 8 minutes or until cheese is melted.
*To make oat flour, place oats into a blender or food processor and pulse until smooth.